THE APOSTLES CREED
We believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heavens and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* church,
the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body
and the life everlasting. Amen.
What We Believe About...
... The Trinity
We describe God in three persons. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are commonly used to refer to the threefold nature of God. Sometimes we use other terms, such as Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.
- in one God, who created the world and all that is in it.
- that God is sovereign; that is, God is the ruler of the universe.
- that God is loving. We can experience God’s love and grace.
- that Jesus was human. He lived as a man and died when he was crucified.
- that Jesus is divine. He is the Son of God.
- that God raised Jesus from the dead and that the risen Christ lives today. (Christ and messiah mean the same thing—God’s
- that Jesus is our Savior. In Christ we receive abundant life and forgiveness of sins.
- that Jesus is our Lord and that we are called to pattern our lives after his.
... The Holy Spirit
- that the Holy Spirit is God with us.
- that the Holy Spirit comforts us when we are in need and convicts us when we stray from God.
- that the Holy Spirit awakens us to God’s will and empowers us to live obediently.
... The Church
- that the church is the body of Christ, an extension of Christ’s life and ministry in the world today.
- that the mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
- that the church is “the communion of saints,” a community made up of all past, present, and future disciples of Christ.
- that the church is called to worship God and to support those who participate in its life as they grow in faith.